Monday, July 25, 2011

Sunday Sense(s)


Photo by Ken Brown, 2006, www.ldschurchtemples.com


Yesterday I went to the Manhattan, NY temple. It is right in downtown New York City, surrounded by taxis, people, pollution, and noise; but inside it is clean, quiet, and peaceful.  I love going to the temple. It's something I've recently rediscovered the value in doing.  Often, I find myself not wanting to leave; to trade the calm, peaceful tranquility I find within its rooms for the chaotic and noisy confusion in the world outside. Yesterday, however, as I was enjoying its quiet atmosphere and studying its intricate architecture, I had a wonderfully clear moment of realization:

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?...for the temple of God is Holy, which temple ye are. 
- 1 Cor 3:16-17

I have been seeking refuge in the safe and sheltering walls of temples a lot, mostly because I enjoy the stillness and peace of heart I find while there. As much as I wish it, living in the temple 24/7 is not possible - we have to go out and live our lives, face our trials, and find our joys; but, we can carry the tranquil feelings we find within the temple out into the world with us.

Temples are sacred and holy spaces, places where god dwells and comforts and teaches us. They are pure, and clean, and magnificently constructed. So are we. We are sacred and holy vessels, bodies united with spirits carrying beautifully crafted hearts in which the spirit of God can dwell and comfort and teach us. While the troubles of the world rage around (and sometimes on or within) us, our hearts can always be in tune with God - quiet, full of peace and hope, anchors and safe refuges in times of hardship or sorrow.

Yesterday I walked out those sacred doors and into the busy streets of Manhattan, knowing that I am a holy temple, the spirit of God dwelling peacefully deep within me.

I love these kinds of realizations - thoughts, epiphanies, questions, and moments of instruction and understanding.  They enlighten my mind and fill my soul with a happiness and desire to share the joy I've just found. I've had a lot of these moments lately, but not many moments to share them. So, I've decided to start a new series within my blog entitled Sunday Sense(s) - 'Sunday' because they will be written and posted weekly on Sunday; and 'Sense(s)' because...well...it's about the way things makes sense to me, through all of my senses. :)

For those of you who (like me) would like a more literal dictionary definition of my grammatical formulation, here you go:

Sense: a reasonable or comprehensible rationale; a sane and realistic attitude to situations and problems; a keen intuitive awareness of or sensitivity to the presence or importance of something; a feeling that something is the case; 
(s): faculties by which the body perceives an external stimulus, such as sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch; 

You're going to get a double dose of sensory overload today, as I've had a lot to say in this introductory piece, and I've written my first series experience post already! (To be posted immediately following this one.)  What can I say- it's been a stimulating few weeks for me...

Here are a few recently epiphanied concepts I want to share.  I don't have time - or space - to expand upon them now, but plan to in future posts:

Hope is all encompassing, but not all consuming. It is the motivating force which drives our souls forward into progression.

Faith is not simply believing in a power. Faith is power - a power we (everyone) already have within us. 

Patience is not waiting. Patience is control - of our souls, our bodies, our desires, our hopes, and the power of faith.

And now to end with a song, because I love music, I love to share it, and this song has been the summary soundtrack to my heart the last few days. (Listen to the song here.)

When You Believe

Many nights we've prayed
with no proof anyone could hear.
In our hearts a hopeful song
we barely understood.
Now we are not afraid,
although we know there's much to fear.
We were moving mountains long
before we knew we could.

In this time of fear,
when prayer so often proved in vain;
Hope seemed like the summer birds
too swiftly flown away.
And now I'm standing here
with heart so full I can't explain.
Seeking faith and speaking words
I never thought I'd say.

They [miracles] don't always happen when you ask,
and it's easy to give in to your fears.
But when you're blinded by your pain,
can't see your way straight through the rain,
A small but still resilient voice
says hope is very near...

There can be miracles when you believe,
though hope is frail, it's hard to kill.
Who knows what miracles you can achieve,
when you believe.
Somehow you will,
you will when you believe.
Now you will.
You will when you believe.

1 comment:

  1. Two thoughts on these things: 1. You need to read Cheiko Okasaki "being enough" great book on the topic! She is amazing.
    2. I LOVE going to the temple in the city!! I think it is the immediate contrast of the hustle and chaos of the city and then walking into a place and completely feeling peace and being clear your mind for a few hours. I love that black and white contrast!

    ReplyDelete