Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti - Keeper of My Heart


"I am he; yea, I am he that comforteth you.

Behold, who art thou that thou shouldst be afraid....

...and by whom shall I comfort thee?"
-2 Nephi 8:12, 19





Haiti was hit by a 7.0 magnitude earthquake last night at roughly 5pm  EST.  It was followed by two large 5.9/5.7 aftershocks. The epicenter was only 10 miles from the densely populated capitol of Port-au-Prince.  For a country that lives in desperate conditions daily, this  event was indescribably catastrophic.

My heart has been effected on so many levels, I can't even begin to process the thoughts and feelings that are emerging.  Do you focus on relief  efforts? Getting the word out? Convincing others to help? To care? Do you buy a plane ticket?

There are so many things I want to say....to do.....but the words catch in my throat....  So, I will leave the sharing of statistics and disaster facts to the news.  I will rely on the Red Cross to find a way to provide clean water and emergency care.  I will pray to God to send the arms of angels to comfort the hearts of the people.  I will maintain a countenance of hope and soul full of faith.

Don't worry Haiti, this too shall pass.  And while I can't be there now, I will be coming soon, to do what little I can with these little hands...

...little hands that are filled with an immense love.

(Please visit www.children-in-need.us to donate to the relief effort) 




2 comments:

  1. Janna, you were the first person I thought of when I heard about this. I have Haitian students, coworkers, and fellow branch members. I am with you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures & thoughts! You are a "beautiful girl", inside and out Janna. Love you and miss you. Doug and I just got back from Arizona---went there seeking some sunshine, It was 70 degrees in Lake Havasu. I am very happy with Doug. Celebrating Ted"s 90th birthday this Saturday. Love ya, Grams

    ReplyDelete